Slick Water Compra Dun
Tier: Rob McLean
Hook: TMC 100
Body: PMD McLean's Quill Body
Thorax: PMD McLean's Velveteen Dry Fly Dubbing
Wing: Pale Chartruse dyed Coastal Deer
Tail: Yellow or Olive McLean's Super Tail
- Form a thread base 2/3 of the way back on the hook.
- Advance the thread 2/3 of the way back up the hook shank.
- Apply a drop of lacquer to the thread base.
- Take a small pinch of deer hair and stack tie in securely with the tips towards the eye.
- Bring thread to the front of the wing holding the wing upright build a tapered thread button securely against the wing.
- Bring thread to the rear of the hook slightly down the hook bend.
- Build up a thread button take two fibers of super tail laying them on top of shank.
- Pass thread directly in front of the thread button over tail fibers erecting and splaying tail.
- Tie in quill body by the tapered end.
- Build thread taper to the butts of the deer hair.
- Apply a drop of lacquer on thread foundation.
- Wrap quill to form body tying off just behind butts of deer hair.
- Apply another drop of lacquer on body.
- Dub slim noodle and cover wing junction angling the dubbing slightly to cover any bare spots under the hook.
- Take 2 wraps behind and 2 wraps in front.
- Whip finish and cement head.
Note: This is my favorite may fly imitation it is effective in black, PMD, slate dun, olive, yellow, grey olive, and brown.